University of the Sacred Heart Gulu (USHG) has received a consignment of 25,533 text and library books from Books for Africa Inc. The books were received through the Acholi Community Library Project whose mission is to strengthen literacy and education to students and community members in the Acholi sub-region. The books in disciplines like Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, History, Geography, and Social Sciences etc. were delivered and received at the the University campus in a 40-foot container this morning.
In a bid to encourage the culture of reading and support to school libraries in the region, the University shall share the books with 8 other primary and secondary schools in the districts of Gulu, Nwoya, Amuru and Omoro. The University shall also facilitate training and offer capacity building to librarians of the beneficiary schools in library science and administration. The beneficiary schools are:-
- St. Peter’s P.S Bwobo- Nwoya district
- Wii- Lacic P.S – Nwoya district
- Lakwatomer P.S – Omoro district
- Holy Rosary P.S – Gulu district
- St. Josephs’s P.S – Gulu district
- Mary Immaculate P.S – Gulu district
- St. Mary’s College Lacor – Amuru district
- Koro Secondary School – Omoro district
University of the Sacred Heart Gulu is grateful to the support of Books For Africa and Shannon Golden for supporting the Acholi Community Library Project.